Let’s face it – you can’t go to the Gold Coast without taking in at least one of the theme parks on offer. As the Theme Park Capital of Australia, you can easily be entertained for days and days and days by simply visiting Sea World, Dream World, Movie World, Wet’n’Wild and WhiteWater World, all located on the Gold Coast in Queensland. There are so many different rides, shows, special events and features that you may feel like you don’t have enough time to see it all. Choosing the right theme park and the right shows to catch can be tricky and require a little bit of research. But who wants to research before a holiday? Now you don’t have to – we’ve done the work for you. Below is our top picks for events, rides and shows to see according to age.
One thing to note is that regardless of what where you choose to spend your time when visiting the Theme Park Capital, you can find something for children of all ages – every park has rides, attractions and shows to provide the perfect balance of thrill, relaxation and entertainment.
- All Star Parade at Movie World – this is a great way to end your day with little ones as all of their favourite WB characters come out to say hello. And best of all, you get to take a seat!
- Wiggle Bay at WhiteWater World – this is the best place for little ones to cool off and spend quality time as a family. The completely supervised area features mini slides, interactive sprays, colourful water cannons and giant instruments.
- Madagascar Madness at Dream World – this was my two little one’s pick. Madagascar Madness features shows, rides for children over the age of one and the Mad Jungle Jam featuring hundreds of squidgy balls, air cannons, foam fountains, rope bridges and lookout towers. My son would have moved in here if he could…
- Buccaneer Bay at Wet’n’Wild – similar to Wiggle Bay, this pirate themed playground includes cool slides, a giant tipping bucket and shallow water lagoons.
- Pipeline Plunge at White Water World – Get your cozzies on kids! It’s time to go to WhiteWater World and try out the newly refurbished Pipeline Plunge. Watch that bucket of water!
- The Bro at White Water World– challenge your older kids to a race with the ten person innovative ride which uses specially designed sled mats to plunge riders head first into a maze of thrilling twists and turns. Who will be the winner?
- Storm Coaster at Sea World – Experience a ride the whole family will love as you’re taken on a thrilling journey featuring amazing water and fire effects. Opening late 2013, Storm Coaster is the only ride of its kind in Australia and a must do this summer!
- The Sea Viper at Sea World – give your older kids something to scream about by taking them on the Sea Viper, one of Australia’s famous inverted coasters. This triple loop-the-loop coaster is packed full of fun, thrills and adrenaline pumping action, perfect for any thrill seeking teen!
- Zombie Evilution at Dream World – Are you a Zombie or a Soldier? Zombie Evilution-The Battle for Kevil Hill has begun and YOU need to choose a side. This is a great way to spend some quality time with your older kids, zombie style.
- The Green Lantern at Movie World – this is only one of the many thrill seeking super hero rides on offer but it’s our top pick for teens!
- Kamikaze at Wet’n ‘Wild – part of the extreme H20 series, this is our pick for thrills especially if you love the idea of plunging down a near vertical 11 meter drop at a steep 70 degree angle….on a tube.
There are also some must have attractions designed to delight children and adults of all ages. These shows are not too terrifying for the little ones but also won’t bore your hard-to-please teenagers either. So sit down and enjoy some family fun!
- White Christmas at Movie World – Wrap yourself up in a magical White Christmas adventure with your whole family as Movie World is transformed into an enchanting winter wonderland.
- Tiger Island Show at Dream World – Standby tiger lovers – a brand new Tiger Island Show is roaring into action this December! It’s time for Dreamworld’s tiger cubs Baru & Ravi to go to Cub College. Stay tuned for more details…
- Giant Wave Pool at Wet n Wild – sure, it doesn’t flip you upside down but this is our kind of ride! Splash around between rides with the entire family and enjoy the intermittent cycle of the gentle waves.
- Henry at Sea World – Come and meet Australia’s only polar bear “Henry.” This gorgeous bundle of fluff has just come out to play at Polar Bear Shores, ‘Polar Pre-School’ and can’t wait to meet you. Who can say no to family fun when it’s this adorable?
We hope this guide has helped make it a little easier to determine the best parks and shows to focus on based on your family’s age, likes and dislikes – Have a great time and enjoy the Theme Park Capital from Stay at Home Mum!